News Local

Dad and son in Barrie tied to brutal 1978 slaying

City police have arrested and charged a father and son in connection with the 1978 murder of a Barrie man.

Barrie police and Ontario Provincial Police conducted a joint investigation into the execution-style murder of Michael Traynor. His body was found in a wooded area north of Barrie on Oct. 2, 1978.

The arrests led to the evacuation of more than 20 homes in the city’s north end Thursday evening after explosive devices and volatile chemicals were found inside the suspects’ home.

“Two days ago we had a major development,” Barrie police Const. Angie Butler said. “As a result, two people have been arrested as of yesterday (Wednesday) and have been to bail court today (Thursday).”

Police arrested 54-year-old Donald Feldhoff and his 75-year-old father, William Feldhoff, in connection with Traynor’s murder.

Donald has been charged with first-degree murder and William has been charged with accessory after the fact. They remain in custody, and will make a video appearance in court July 18.

Police are holding a press conference Friday at 11 a.m. regarding an update on the situation.

As police used caution tape to block off a section of the street in front of 30 Virgilwood Cres., several neighbours watched police cruisers come and go from the home.

When Dan Flear learned police were investigating his parents’ neighbour, known as ‘Willy’, he was shocked to find out the man who lived across the street from his family would be up to any wrongdoing.

“I know him from working on the grass and he use to blow the driveway in the winter,” Flear said. “The only one of the family I know is him, Willy. I don’t get it. This is odd. I have no idea what to think.

“We’d see him on the street and say hi,” he said. “I know him and he was a good guy. This is like Leave It To Beaver street.”

Some neighbours, who asked not to be identified, said the elder Feldhoff had arguments with residents on the street, didn’t appreciate children or animals on his well kept lawn.

“It doesn’t surprise me that there’s something going on over there,” said one neighbour. “I’ve lived here 26 years. That he would booby-trap that place, doesn’t surprise me.”

Neighbours said Donald had moved back in to the home approximately six months ago.

Police couldn’t say if the two men were initial suspects in the Traynor case, but did say the victim and the suspects did not know each other.

“It was the cold case aspect of it,” OPP Const. Kelly Daniels-Griffis said. “In this case it was one of those cases the OPP were looking into as well.”

The investigation led police to investigate the home in the city’s north end where officers blocked off part of the street Thursday afternoon after police found explosive materials inside.

Police later evacuated approximately 25 homes after the materials found in the house were deemed volatile and unstable and estimate the evacuation will last 12 to 24 hours.

“Investigations from the arrest yesterday gave us information that there may be possible explosives and chemicals in the home,” Butler said. “We want to take all precautions at this time.”

Word of the police presence on the street had many neighbours shaken in the otherwise peaceful part of town.

“It’s a very quiet residential neighbourhood with a few kids, but there’s never been any incidents or any trouble,” neighbour Scott Underwood said. “To me it (trouble on the street) would be out of the norm.”

Traynor, a plumber, was last seen around 3 a.m. Sept. 13, 1978 while at a bar with friends. In an interview at the time, his wife, Bev, said she spoke to him that evening and he told her he was going to an end-of-season party for the local baseball team he played for. His family reported him missing on Sept. 18. A hunter found his decomposed body off of what is now St. Vincent Street, just north of Barrie in former Vespra Township (now Springwater Township), with gunshot wounds to his chest.

He had been shot twice with a .22 calibre weapon with his arms tied behind his body at the wrists and elbows with copper wire. Similar wire was tied around his ankles and knees.

Barrie police continue to investigate at the home. Anyone with information can call 705-725-7025, ext. 2160, OPP at 1-888-310-1122, or Crime Stoppers.





  • May 2, 2012 — The bodies two women are discovered at the Travelodge at Bayfield Street and Highway 400 in Barrie. The victims are identified as Helen Dorrington, a 52-year-old from Cold Lake, Alta., and Mary Hepburn, a 32-year-old Barrie woman. Cause of death in both cases has not been released. Mark Fraser Dobson, a 22-year-old Barrie man who is originally from British Columbia, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder. Dobson was taken to Barrie hospital with serious injuries, believed to be arm and neck wounds, although police have not confirmed this. He remains in custody.
  • Aug. 13, 2011 — Bradley Hubbard, a 42-year-old Collingwood man, dies from a "penetrating injury to the neck" following a confrontation at a south-end Barrie golf facility. Media reports suggest he was stabbed with a broken golf club, but police haven't confirm this. Police responded to Putting Edge on Commerce Park Drive around 9:30 p.m. Three Innisfil teens — Justin Spring and Jake Workman, both 18, and Matthew Spring, 19 — have been charged with second-degree murder. They remain in custody.
  • July 31, 2011 — The body of 27-year-old Dawn Bailey is discovered following a fire at her parents' Glen Kerr Drive home in Gilford. Ryan Kovacs, a 27-year-old Bradford resident and Bailey's ex-boyfriend, has been charged with first-degree murder, two counts of arson, and break and enter. A post-mortem examination determined that Bailey had been stabbed to death.
  • March 27, 2011 — Donald White, 53, and his 51-year-old wife, Lauredith, are found dead and dismembered inside their rural home north of Elmvale. Both died from gunshot wounds. Their 26-year-old son, Gregory White, who also lived in the home, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of indecently interfering with a human body. Police initially responded to the County Road 6 home after a co-worker of Donald's called authorities to report that he hadn't showed up for work.
  • Oct. 30, 2010 — A woman is badly beaten and repeatedly stabbed before a man kills himself in the garage of their Innisfil home in what police say was an attempted murder-suicide. South Simcoe police were called to 2139 Line 9 shortly before 11 p.m. for a "violent domestic" dispute. Officers arrived to find a seriously injured 43-year-old woman, and a 49-year-old man dead in the garage. Crime scene evidence showed there had been a violent struggle. The woman was rushed to hospital and survived the ordeal. A post-mortem examination determined the man had committed suicide. No names were released.
  • Oct. 16, 2010 — The body of Clearview Township resident Ronald Trebilcock is found in a field north of Highway 401 in the Napanee area, more than a month after he was reported missing. The 48-year-old man's body was discovered by walkers in Tyendinaga Township, but police said there were no roads nearby. Cause of death was determined, but police did not release any details. However, authorities did say that Trebilcock met with foul play. Trebilcock was reported missing to Huronia West OPP on Sept. 9, after friends and family hadn't seen him for five days. About a week after Trebilcock's body was discovered, James Wayne Elder, 57, of Creemore, was charged with accessory after the fact to murder and committing an indignity to a dead body. None of the allegations have been proven in court. The case remains under investigation.
  • Aug. 14, 2010 — Troy Lush, a 23-year-old Innisfil man, dies in a Toronto hospital after being stabbed during a fight around 2 a.m. on Clapperton Street in downtown Barrie. A 25-year-old Barrie man also suffers knife wounds to the head, but is expected to recover. Jeffrey Surgenor, 23, of Barrie, has been charged with manslaughter and aggravated assault. Surgenor was arrested without incident during a vehicle stop in the north end around 6:30 p.m. Police say Lush and the unidentified Barrie man were arguing with another group of men when the stabbing happened. In an interview outside the courthouse, Surgenor's lawyer said his client was acting in self-defence. None of the allegations have been proven in court.
  • July 22, 2010 — Roy Edward Hales, 55, is found dead inside his north-end Barrie home at 47 Janice Dr. The post-mortem examination determined Hales died from blunt force trauma. City police say Hales had been involved in a physical altercation a week earlier. James Jonathon Dillon, a 31-year-old Barrie man, was initially charged with manslaughter, but was later upgraded to second-degree murder. Dillon is also charged with robbery and possession of property obtained by crime. None of the allegations have been proven in court.
  • July 5, 2010 — The body of 29-year-old Samantha Collins is discovered by a property caretaker near a Bracebridge cottage on Merrick Drive. Ian Charles Borbely, 35, of Orillia, was charged the following May with second-degree murder and indignity to human remains. None of the allegations have been proven in court. Borbely was arrested following a traffic stop at an undisclosed location. Collins' cause of death was not released, because police say that information is "sensitive" to the investigation. It's unclear how long Collins had been dead when her body was found. Police say Collins hadn't been in contact with her family since 2007.
  • May 22, 2010 — A portion of a man's dismembered body is found in Oro-Medonte Township's Sugar Bush subdivision, during the Victoria Day long weekend. More of his mutilated remains are found later in the day in Lake of Bays Township, east of Huntsville. A third set of remains is discovered May 29 northeast of Bracebridge on the shoulder of Stoneleigh Road, off Musoka Road 117, by a worker with a paving company. Police say all of the man's body parts have yet to be found. The deceased was later identified as Morris Conte, 45, of Bolton, using DNA. Cause of death has not been determined, but police say he was a victim of homicide. Conte was known to police and was known apparently to owe money on the streets for a cocaine habit. Authorities believe his body parts were dumped in plain view not long before they were discovered. Police have also looked at the possibility that Conte was involved in a love triangle.
  • Jan. 10, 2010 — Midland police investigate an apparent murder and subsequent suicide after Stephanie Hoddinott, a 20-year-old Midland woman, dies after being shot in the head at her Irwin Street residence. Police find the seriously injured woman inside the home around 2:25 p.m. Hoddinott is rushed to a local hospital where she dies. The suspect, a 20-year-old Penetanguishene man identified as Jacob Ferrier, is found inside a vehicle about 10 minutes later on nearby Bayshore Drive, also suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. Ferrier is airlifted to a Toronto hospital where he dies a few days later. Investigators found a .45-calibre, semiautomatic handgun in the vehicle. Police said the couple had been dating, but that the relationship may have recently ended. A warrant for first-degree murder had been obtained for Ferrier's arrest.
  • June 7, 2009 — Michelle Simon, 45, is found stabbed in her Mary Street apartment in downtown Barrie. She is rushed to Royal Victoria Hospital where she dies. Her estranged husband, Daniel Simon, 46, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in April 2011.
  • Nov. 7, 2008 — The body of Ali Garakan, a 47-year-old Thornhill man, is found burning in an Essa Township ditch, west of Barrie. He died from stab wounds. Three Toronto men in their 20s have been charged with first-degree murder. None of the allegations have been proven in court.
  • Nov. 10, 2007 — D'Arcy Molloy, a 43-year-old Collingwood man, is shot and killed at his Napier Street home. Molloy was shot five times in the head, back and buttocks as he placed storm windows on his home. Thornbury resident James Leone, Molloy's former father-in-law, was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 16 years after pleading guilty to second-degree murder. Molloy and the mother of his young son had been involved in a custody battle, but Leone also became heavily involved in the dispute, including hiring a private investigator to follow Molloy when the boy visited.
  • Sept. 8, 2007 — Wasaga Beach resident Roger Halvorson, 29, is found dead outside the Riverboat Inn with a stab wound to his upper body. Halvorson died shortly after being transported to hospital. Noah Coutts, 23, also of Wasaga Beach, is charged with second-degree murder. Police say the two men knew each other. None of the allegations have been proven in court.
  • July 8, 2007 — Alexandra Flanagan, a 33-year-old Barrie woman, is last seen alive near Sunnidale Park, not far from her Wellington Street apartment. Her partial remains are discovered the following October in a south-end wooded area. More remains are found in the city's east end in February 2008. Additional remains were found near the Bayfield Street and Highway 400 on-ramp in October, 2011. Police arrested Andrew Keene of Innisfi. His case remains before the courts.
  • June 16, 2007 — Joey Tanner,l a 16-year-old Hamilton resident, dies after being stabbed three times in the back outside a Strabane Avenue apartment in east-end Barrie. Police say Tanner and his friend, Jeremy Rodgers, 17, of Alliston, were involved in an altercation with another group at the apartment building. The groups were taunting each other when Nicholson, who had a long criminal record, burst out of the apartment with a switchblade, rushed both teens and stabbed them. They were loaded into a stolen car and dumped near the Duckworth Street plaza where an ambulance was called. Joseph Nicholson, 21, of Barrie, was convicted of first-degree murder, following a five-month trial, and sentenced to life in prison, with the possibility of parole after 25 years. Nicholson was also convicted for the attempted murder of Rodgers, who was stabbed in the chest three times, but recovered from his wounds.
  • March 7, 2007 — The body of Jonathan Chambers, a 21-year-old Markham man, is found in a ditch alongside Line 4 South in Oro-Medonte Township. Police say he was shot five times, execution-style, beside the quiet country road. Six Toronto-area men were charged in relation to his kidnapping and murder. Chambers was killed to "teach a lesson" after two of his friends used fake money to buy $50,000 worth of cocaine. The man who fired the fatal shots, Andrew Turner, 33, of Brampton, was found guilty of manslaughter after the first-degree murder trial crumbled over legal technicalities. A police video including Turner's confession was deemed inadmissible. A mistrial was also declared after the judge ruled the jury should not have seen photos of a captive Chambers leaving Turner's apartment complex. Turner was sentenced to 11 years in prison, including time already spent in custody leading up to the trial. Chambers' father, Devon, called the plea bargain "justice for the wicked. This court is in compliance with murder."
  • Feb. 23, 2007 — A snowplow driver finds 31-year-old Richard Boxall near death, unconscious and wrapped in a blanket on Ridge Road in Oro-Medonte Township. Boxall, whom police say had been severely beaten in a Barrie home, dies three days later. Charged with first-degree murder are Scott Dakins, 22; John Preston, 38; and Shawn Amos, 36, all of Barrie. A fourth man, 29-year-old Troy MacLean, was also implicated in the crime. He pleaded guilty to manslaughter in January 2008 and was sentenced to seven years in prison.
  • Oct. 4, 2006 — The Campione girls — three-year-old Serena and one-year-old Sophia — are found dead in their Coulter Street apartment in Barrie. Autopsy results showed the girls had been drowned. Their mother, 33-year-old Elaine Frances Campione, was convicted on two counts of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison without the eligibility of parole for 25 years. Campione held the girls' heads underwater for at least two minutes, drowning them as a way of enacting revenge against her estranged husband. She videotaped the last moments of her daughters playing in the tub before shutting off the camera shortly before they were murdered. When the tape was turned back on, the house is quiet, but a spiteful Campione — described as selfish, self-absorbed, malicious and manipulative — blames the girls' father for what happened. She calls police the following day; an officer finds the girls neatly dressed, propped up in bend and holding hands.
  • Aug. 19, 2006 — Alyssa Watson's body is found near a decommissioned rail line in Orillia. The 20-year-old woman's cause of death was ligature strangulation. She was last seen alive the night before around 9 p.m. Roy Niemi, 30, of Orillia, has been charged with first-degree murder and committing an indignity to a dead body. None of the allegations have been proven in court.
  • April 16, 2006 — Stephen Long, 22, is beaten to death with a baseball bat following a rowdy party at a Collingwood home. Christopher Broughton, a 30-year-old London-area man, is sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to the second-degree murder. Long, a member of a white supremacist brotherhood called the Hammerheads, was killed as he lay sleeping on the living room floor.
  • March 16, 2006 — Yvonne Marsh, a 37-year-old Wasaga Beach woman who worked with developmentally challenged people in Collingwood, is killed after being struck on the head at least six times with the blunt end of an axe while sleeping in her bed. Adam Newman, 35, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in August 2007 and sentenced to life in prison without the chance of parole for 12 years. Newman said he became angry when March told him she was going back to her husband. After the crime, Newman drove to Toronto and surrendered to police.
  • March 9, 2006 — Brayton Bullock, 14, is stabbed to death by his cousin in Lackies Bush, a wooded area in Barrie's south end. The 13 deadly blows had such force that Brayton's lung, heart and skull were pierced, and the knife entered Brayton's brain. Nickolas Bullock, who was 16 at the time of the crime, was convicted of first-degree murder in February 2009, and was later sentenced as an adult in October 2009. He received life in prison without the chance of parole for 10 years.
  • Nov. 14, 2005 — Katlin Cousineau's charred remains are found among the rubble after a Midland home burns to the ground. The mentally challenged 23-year-old woman was tortured with a blowtorch and doused with rubbing alcohol before the home was set ablaze to hide her body. Investigators believe she died two days earlier. Handcuffs and a torch were found in the basement. After a two-month trial, Paul Bradey, a 45-year-old Midland man, was found guilty of first-degree murder, indignity to a human body and arson. He was sentenced to life in jail without the chance of parole for 25 years. Susanna Balogh, 33, is serving an eight-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to criminal negligence causing death. Mat Sitte, 25, of Midland, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and received a life sentence without the possibility of parole for 10 years.
  • Oct. 14, 2005 — April Dobson, 40, is killed instantly after being shot in the back of the head while sitting on a Browning Trail porch. City police continue to investigate. No one has been arrested.
  • May 21, 2004 — Mimi Khonsari, the 61-year-old wife of a Barrie surgeon, is found strangled and stabbed to death near Ridge Road in Oro-Medonte Township. Khonsari's 11-month-old granddaughter is found alive, strapped into the car seat of her slain grandmother's car, near a Barrie highrise that same day. Clare Spiers, a 43-year-old Barrie man, was found guilty is first-degree murder. He was sentenced to life in jail without the possibility of parole for 25 years.
  • April 16, 2004 — Irene Peteigney, 30, is beaten with a hammer by her husband while their two toddlers watched. Mike Peteigney, 35, delivered between two and seven blows to the back of her head after she told him she didn't love him anymore, at their Shakespeare Crescent home in Barrie. After he called 911, police busted down the door and found the mother alive and gasping as she lay in a pool of blood in the hallway. She died of brain injuries from multiple skull fractures. Peteigney was sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of second-degree murder. He has no chance of parole for 14 years. The two young girls are being raised by her family.
  • Jan. 19, 2003 — Domenico Orsino's mutilated body is found in the bedroom of his Innisfil home after his killer, who was a tenant, tried to hide the evidence by torching the residence. In the ritualistic killing, the 58-year-old Orsino was stabbed 40 times and had his ears, nose and lips cut off and placed beside his body. He was also decapitated. Glyn Lloyd-Owen, 25, was sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of second-degree murder.
  • Oct. 20, 2002 — Rahim Prebtani, a 20-year-old Markham man, is beaten severely outside the Riverboat Inn in Wasaga Beach. He died a few days later in a Toronto hospital from massive head injuries, after being struck on the head and neck about 30 times with an aluminum baseball bat. Wasaga Beach resident Michael McCarroll, who was 19 when Prebtani died, was tried and convicted of second-degree murder in December 2005, and sentenced to life in jail without the possibility of parole for 13 years. However, he won an appeal after improper instructions were given to the jury. McCarroll has been granted a new trial.
  • May 25, 2002 — A man and woman, both 44 years old, are found shot and beaten to death in their car in an Oro-Medonte Township field, near Highway 11. The murders of Dung That Ton and his wife, Bong Thi Bui, are linked to a marijuana grow operation in Mississauga. Tung Duong, 38, of Mississauga; Ibrahim Yumnu, 48, of Wasaga Beach; Vince Cardoso, 39, of Toronto are convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to 25 years in jail. Two others are found not guilty.
  • June 29, 2001 — Gary Arthur Newman's body is found shortly after midnight on Huronia Road in Innisfil. The 49-year-old Barrie Taxi driver was stabbed multiple times after picking up a fare in Innisfil. His cab was located near Highway 400 and Innisfil Beach Road, where he had been dispatched to pick up a fare shortly before midnight. Newman was stabbed 20 times in the face, neck, torso and hands. The fatal blow went through his face and into his brain. Kelley Robert Thackeray, 25, of Barrie, was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison without chance of parole for 11 years. He claimed it was a botched robbery and the murder was done on impulse.
  • June 18, 2001 — Christopher Scott Lang, a 22-year-old Midland man, is stabbed 13 times in the face and heart by his longtime friend during a fight at a party on Kerr Drive in Penetanguishene. Michael Douglas Ackerman, a 21-year-old Midland man, was charged with first-degree murder, but later pleaded guilty to manslaughter. He was sentenced to six years in prison.
  • Dec. 27, 2000 — The bodies of Brian Hawton, 45, and Joanne Waters-Hawton, 39, are found inside their Oakdale Drive home in New Lowell. Both had died from gunshot wounds to the head. The couple, who had been married less than a year, had five children between the ages of nine and 13 from previous marriages living in nearby Stayner. Police did not release details of the investigation, including who was murdered and who committed suicide.
  • Dec. 5, 1999 — Valerie Lucas, a 23-year-old Barrie woman, is gunned down by her estranged husband, 42-year-old Robert Bateman, while fulfilling a court-mandated custody exchange of their two young daughters. Lucas was shot six times in the head and upper body with a semi-automatic handgun in an Oshawa parking lot. Bateman pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for 21 years.
  • March 7, 1998 — The decomposing body of 50-year-old Beeton resident Eileen Coffey, a teacher-librarian at a New Tecumseth school, is found in a Toronto landfill. She died Jan. 5, 1998, the day she disappeared, but her body wasn't found until eight weeks later. Martin Edelenbos, 36, of Alliston, was charged with first-degree murder. Edelenbos, who admitted she died during a sexual assault, was found guilty of first-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.
  • May 31, 1997 — Provincial police Const. Tom Coffin, 32, is shot to death in front of several people at Penetanguishene's Commodore Hotel. Shortly after midnight, Allan MacDonald walked into the bar, approached Coffin from behind and shot him in the back of the head, killing him instantly. MacDonald, 50, was convicted of first-degree murder. The former chairman of the Penetanguishene police services board said he killed Coffin because the officer had charged him with impaired driving a year before the slaying. MacDonald, a former North York firefighter, is eligible for full parole in 2022.
  • May 31, 1996 — The body of 28-year-old Janice Lawrie is found around noon in a wooded area on St. Vincent Street between Barrie and Midhurst. The pharmacist and mother of two young girls — aged six (Brittany) and two (Katherine) — had been strangled to death and stabbed in the chest. In the days following the murder, her husband, Ronald Lawrie, called The Examiner to say he wanted "to get the bastard who did it." He was charged with first-degree murder several weeks later. While behind bars, Lawrie was charged with plotting to murder a local man — later revealed to be his wife's lover, Patrick Stott — and three counts of attempting to obstruct justice. After pleading guilty to second-degree murder and counsel to commit murder, he was sentenced to life in prison, with parole eligibility after 11 years. According to court documents, he had learned of his wife's affair and plans to move out immediately prior to the killing, which was described as a "crime of passion." He had visited a psychiatrist in Orillia in the hours before he killed his wife. Lawrie had returned home from the doctor's appointment, May 30, when he and wife got into an argument in the master bedroom at 90 Arthur Ave., in Barrie's east end. She told him she planned to leave the next day. She left the room and he followed, strangling her with his bare hands downstairs. Mrs. Lawrie, who never regained consciousness, was taken to Midhurst where her body was dumped. The scene was made to appear like a rape and stabbing to divert suspicion. When she was stabbed, Mr. Lawrie believed his wife was already dead. The Lawries married in 1989. Mrs. Lawrie, a University of Toronto graduate and only child, commuted daily to Orillia where she worked long hours at the Zellers pharmacy where she was well liked and described as a hard worker. Her husband and co-workers reported her missing around 9:30 a.m. Her body was found a few hours later by a man picking rocks. She was described as a quiet redhead who weighed less than 100 pounds. However, she was almost completely unknown to her neighbours. Mr. Lawrie, who was trained as a chef, was taking college courses at the time of the murder. The victim's father described him as loud, arrogant, self-centred manipulative and controlling.
  • Oct. 21, 1995 — Michael Goldsmith, 18, of Prices Corners, is accidentally shot through a wall and killed with a high-powered hunting rifle, but his killer dumps the teenager's body near the Wye River in Tiny Township, southeast of Wyevale. Brian Ross McDonald, 34, receives a four-year jail term after pleading guilty to manslaughter and interfering with a dead human body. McDonald is also given a 10-year weapons prohibition. The Orillia-area teen's body was found by fishermen Oct. 22. The shooting happened at a Dunchurch home, north of Parry Sound, where McDonald lived with his girlfriend. Goldsmith, a guest at the home, was sleeping on a couch when McDonald fired a shot over into the wall, striking the teenager on the other side. Goldsmith died from a gunshot wound to the head. Police said McDonald was trying to scare Goldsmith. McDonald then transported the body almost 170 kilometres and dumped it near the river. McDonald's girlfriend was also charged with accessory after the fact and interfering with human remains.
  • June 21, 1995 — Daniel Parker, 37, of Springwater Township, is pronounced dead at Royal Victoria Hospital after suffering multiple stab wounds during a fight at a Berczy Street apartment. Barrie police were called for a fight between two men in a third-floor unit at 34 Berczy St., shortly before 2 a.m. Officers arrived to find one man suffering from numerous stab wounds. A woman in the apartment below said she heard a woman scream and then the sounds of a struggle. She said the hallway was full of blood, leading down the stairs into the front of the building. Thirty-two-year-old Kenneth Elvan Reid, who lived in the 12-unit building, was charged with second-degree murder. Reid was convicted of second-degree murder in 1997 and handed a life sentence.
  • Oct. 10, 1994 — Katherine Janeiro, a 20-year-old mother, is found dead from multiple stab wounds at 7:48 p.m., on Monday, Oct. 10, 1994, in her basement apartment at 258 Dunlop St. W. She was found lying on the floor in a pool of blood with scratches on her face. Police continue to investigate, but no arrests have been made. Forensic testing also continues. Police say they have narrowed down their list of persons of list to less than six people. Janeiro, who was nicknamed 'Sport', was seen at two downtown Barrie bars the night before her body was found. The knife has never been recovered and police won't say how many times she was stabbed. However, investigators said there was "a lot of biological evidence at the scene." "She was all cut around the neck — they cut her like a pig," said Janeiro's father, adding the walls needed to be painted a dark colour to conceal the large amount of blood spatter. Authorities believe Janeiro — who had a two-year-old daughter, although the youngster was with her grandparents at the time — knew her killer, because there was no forced entry into the home. Robbery is one possible motive. A phone missing from the residence was later recovered in a nearby creek, but yielded no clues.
  • April 29, 1994 — Jack Bates' sun-bleached skull is found by a man walking his dog in a wooded area at the end of Browns Line, south of Angus. More remains, many of which had been gnawed on and scattered by animals, are found the following day. All that was found near the remains were a western tie, a gold-plated ring, a disposable lighter, a comb and grey trousers. The Canadian Mint determined that a penny found underneath the remains was issued in March 1991. Bates had been missing since 1991. Provincial police determined the death happened sometime between Aug. 15 and Nov. 10, 1991. Just prior to death, the 59-year-old Bates, who had a long criminal record, suffered three broken ribs and a fractured right leg. A skull X-ray taken in 1991, when Bates was released from jail on a break-in conviction, matched an X-ray from the found remains. Robert Charles Jones, 38, of Kilworthy, was charged with first-degree murder, but later pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was sentenced to five years. Jones confessed, but also implicated Laurier Joseph Marchand. Marchand, 33, formerly of Barrie, was charged with first-degree murder on Sept. 16, 1994. (Marchand was already doing a 15-year stretch in a British Columbia prison after being found guilty of manslaughter in the death of his Barrie neighbour, William Moody, in 1991.) While awaiting trial on the Bates case in his Barrie Jail cell, Marchand told police that he had taken Bates for a ride one night in the fall of 1991 with the intention of killing him. Marchand said Bates, the former boyfriend of Jones' sister, had slapped her. Marchand and Jones beat Bates with a baseball bat, kicked him and then dragged him down a hill. When Jones saw Marchand pull a knife from his boot, he fled. Police said Marchand then stabbed Bates and cut off his ponytail, a detail which matched the crime scene, before putting the hair in his pocket. Marchand pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and received another 25 years before being sent back to B.C.
  • April 19, 1994 — Three bodies — including that of a 10-year-old boy who failed to show up for school — are found inside an Adjala-Tosorontio Township home, near Tottenham, but they may have been dead for a few days. They were identified as Dana Ricardo Navarro, his mother, 46-year-old Glennie Navarro, and her sister, Lyrister David, also in her 40s. Police said the Navarros had been strangled and Mrs. David had died from blows to the head with a small hammer. Authorities found no signs of forced entry at the home. Neighbours said the native Trinidadians had been living in the bungalow for about four years. Police had trouble tracking down next-of-kin — including Mrs. David's son, who had mysteriously disappeared — and exact birth dates for the women. A Canada-wide arrest warrant on three counts of first-degree murder was issued for 22-year-old Duane Oswald David, the murder victim's son, after his mother, aunt and cousin were found dead in the Colgan home on Simcoe County Road 14. Police said he had left his Richmond Hill apartment that morning to take an exam at Ryerson Polytechnic University, where he was studying chemical engineering, but it was later learned that he had dropped out. David eluded authorities for several weeks. Penniless, David was arrested a few weeks later in an Los Angeles. suburb — he had called his mother's work and expressed astonishment when a co-worker said she was "no longer with us." Nevertheless, he was arrested three hours later at the pay phone. David was convicted on three counts of first-degree murder, carrying a sentence of 25 years before parole eligibility. During the proceedings, court heard that he carried a deep resentment for his mother, harboured sexual fantasies about his aunt and was jealous of his young cousin. A jury rejected his plea that he was not criminally responsible.
  • Dec. 8, 1993 — Physiotherapist Marie-Claude Saumure, 26, is killed by a patient in a murder-suicide at her Midhurst home at 28 Finlay Mill Rd., at the corner of Spence Avenue. Saumure had been shot in the head and stabbed several times. A gun and a knife are discovered inside the home. Ronald Hrchak, 21, of Barrie, is soon found dead in Willow Creek, near St. Vincent Street and Jodies Lane, about three kilometres away. His father's car was found south of the bridge and a shotgun was also located nearby. Saumure's body was found in the basement of her two-storey home, which she shared with her husband, Michael LeBlanc, who was away on business at the time. He worked as a representative for a ski and windsurfing equipment. The couple had recently married and relocated to the Barrie area from Montreal. Saumure, who had been employed by Cedar Pointe Physiotherapy for about eight months up until her death, was reported missing after she failed to show up for work. Police say Hrchak, a Barrie native who lived on Oak Street, had met Saumure in the summer of 1993, when he sought treatment for a knee injury. He soon became infatuated with Saumure, because they shared a love of sports — he had even bought her a competition-style mountain bike the week before he killed her. Police said there was no relationship between the two. Hrchak had an appointment with Saumure the day of her murder, and he had also quit his job at a local garage. The last time anyone heard from Saumure was around 9 p.m. that night when she spoke to a friend on the phone. LeBlanc tried unsuccessfully to reach his wife around 10:30 p.m. When he still hadn't reached her the next morning, he asked a colleague to check on her. Investigators believe Saumure had let Hrchak into the house — they were in the basement looking at her husband's sporting equipment when he attacked and murdered her. He then drove to the creek and killed himself. Authorities said Hrchak was depressed and had spoke of suicide in the days before the murder. Saumure's friends said she was active in swimming, skiing, windsurfing and cycling. As a youth in her Valleyfield, Que., hometown, she was a member of the Canadian national swim team. A physiotherapy scholarship fund was set up in her honour.
  • Oct. 2, 1993 — Fred Shapcott, a 46-year-old taxi driver, bleeds to death after suffering multiple stab wounds. His body was found behind a Bayview Drive building. Two days later, the bodies of 85-year-old Ellsworth Beers, his 22-year-old granddaughter Pamela Constable and her friend Scott Seabrook, 28, are found in Beers' home at 138 Peel St. They had been stabbed and strangled. Several months later, a Letitia Heights woman is attacked in her home, raped and has her throat slashed, but survives. Her teenaged son, who was also attacked, runs from the home and calls police. Eric Ross is arrested at the scene and charged. He is later convicted of first-degree murder in all four deaths.
  • June 28, 1993 — The body of Stanley Hutchinson, an 83-year-old recluse living a simple life near New Lowell, is discovered by a neighbour. The autopsy revealed Hutchinson, who had never married, had died from a blow to the head in his Hogback Road residence, a secluded home without electricity, plumbing or a telephone. Ty Pollock, a Barrie man who was 20 years old at the time of the killing, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter and received nine years and eight months behind bars. In the prisoner's box, Pollock posed for a photo with his newborn son. Norman Bruce West, 33, was also charged with first-degree murder, but he pleaded guilty to robbery with violence and received a seven-year sentence. They had broken into the home looking for money. Expecting to encounter a dog, Pollock had a copper pipe. When confronted by Hutchinson, there was a fight and the man was struck.
  • Aug. 14, 1992 — Former police officer Mark Galvan, 29, is found dead in his Oxbow Park Drive home with a 12-gauge shotgun laying next to his body.  A roommate found Galvan's body on the bed around 6:30 a.m. Sarah McCarl, 26, of Durham, was charged with manslaughter and later acquitted. The judge ruled that she had not fired the fatal shot, which came from close range. Galvan resigned from the Ontario Provincial Police after serving in Orillia, Midland and Wasaga Beach. McCarl testified she had met Galvan two days before his death, while she was staying in the area. They went out with some friends and drank alcohol before returning to his house in good spirits. Galvan and McCarl went downstairs to his bedroom — he retrieved a shotgun and sat down beside her with it between his legs. She said they played with the gun and each pretended to shoot themselves several times without incident. But the gun did go off, killing Galvan. McCarl took Galvan's car after the shooting and drove it into a ditch before taking a cab to Peterborough to look for her brother. She used an assumed name when she checked into a hotel. However, the judge ruled that none of the evidence was indicative of guilt. "Her flight ... was the height of stupidity," said Judge Robert Reilly. Police found a note during the investigation and Galvan's roommate said he had "mentioned" suicide before, but the judge ruled the death to be an accident. Reilly called the notes appeals for sympathy, because court heard that Galvan had purchased groceries that day and made subsequent appointments. Journal entries portrayed Galvan as depressed — he was also having marital, addiction and financial problems.
  • June 16, 1992 — A skull belonging to Cindy Halliday, 17, is found by a man walking his dog in a wooded area off Horseshoe Valley Road, north of Barrie. Dental records confirm it belongs to the Waverley teen, who was reported missing April 21, the day after she had hitch-hiked to Barrie. Insect experts said Halliday, who had been dismembered, may have lived up to a month after her disappearance. Clothing indicated she had been stabbed. There were also suggestions by investigators that her body may have been moved before it was discovered, but her remains had also been scattered by wild animals. Halliday — who often hitch-hiked to Midland, Elmvale and Barrie — was seen at a Macmillan House, a halfway house on Barrie's Toronto Street, where she visited a friend. She was last seen alive that evening in Midhurst, hitch-hiking home to Waverley, and may have gotten into a light-coloured car, possibly a Chrysler LeBaron or Dodge Diplomat, although that has never been confirmed. Her remains were found a short distance away. There were also signs that Halliday's killer toyed with law enforcement. Thirteen days after the area was searched where her wallet was found, her jacket was found neatly folded. Police say it definitely wasn't there during the search. Investigators believe the killer may be a trophy hunter, a psychopath who keeps mementoes from their victims. Police said personal belongings were missing, but only authorities and the killer know what was missing. No arrests have been made and leads have dried up. Police said the killer may live in the area, or is familiar with it. Possible links were raised about connections to Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo. Bernardo may have attended Grade 3 at a Barrie school. An Allandale listing for K.V. Bernardo is listed in the 1973 city phone directory; Bernardo's father's name is Ken. Halliday went missing four days after Kristen French, 15, was abducted while walking home from a St. Catharines school. Bernardo was known to ski in the Barrie area and also travel through the region on his way to his grandparents' cottage north of Midland, but there is no evidence linking either Homolka and Bernardo to the Halliday murder.
  • March 21, 1992 — Local millionaire Paul Kneeshaw is found shot in the back of the head at his Conc. 4 home in Oro Township. In 1999, Billy Vanderheyden and his father, Jack Heyden, were found guilty of shooting their business associate, who ran several bingo parlours. During the 18-month jury trial, one of the longest in Canadian history, it was alleged that Heyden wanted Kneeshaw dead so he could have his wife and money. In 1996, Vanderheyden exhibits strange behaviour in a Barrie courtroom, including squashing invisible flies, blurting out odd remarks and flailing his arms inside the prisoner's box; a psychiatric evaluation is ordered to deal with the disruptions. Both Heyden and Vanderheyden were convicted of first-degree murder in 1999 and sentenced to life in prison. Their murder convictions were overturned on appeal in July 2009, because the jury was given improper instructions. After 10 years in prison, Vanderheyden pleaded guilty to accessory to murder after the fact and handed his walking papers. Vanderheyden became a free man on Oct. 6, 2009, after the Crown attorney said he would not he take the case to trial again because the key witness has since died. Heyden, meanwhile, had his first-degree murder charge dropped in October 2009. Heyden pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder with time served and he walked away a free man on Oct. 21, 2009.
  • Nov. 10, 1991 — William Moody, 44, is found beaten to death in a Dunlop Street rooming house. Police determined that the weapon was an iron bar. Laurier Marchand, 32, pleaded guilty to manslaughter after beating his neighbour to death. Marchand, who blamed the attack on his drug use, was sentenced to 15 years in jail. He said he had taken a non-prescription pain reliever and a medication for schizophrenia before the deadly beating. Marchand, who was the property manager at a pair of Dunlop Street rooming houses, knocked on Moody's door in the middle of the night and attacked the man when he answered. Court heard Moody was dead before the beating ended.
  • Oct. 27, 1991 — Petra Eilbrecht, 20, is found stabbed in her Dunlop Street East apartment which she shared with her boyfriend. Her common-law partner, 23-year-old Peter McMaster, was convicted of second-degree murder and was paroled in May 2005. McMaster testified that he woke up to find Eilbrecht in the bed bleeding from a single stab wound. Two Barrie police officers arrived at the home at 3:26 a.m. One of the officers administered first-aid on Eilbrecht, who was conscious but unresponsive, while the other questioned McMaster about what had happened. McMaster said Eilbrecht stood up and said she had been stabbed, but he said he thought she was having a nightmare. He called for help from a pay phone. Eilbrecht's heart stopped while on en route to the hospital; she was revived but later died in hospital from a single stab wound to the heart. During the trial, the Crown attorney argued McMaster had stabbed Eilbrecht for unknown reasons, and then staged the apartment to look like a robbery. The defence argued that someone had broken into the apartment, pointing out that property was missing from the apartment and that the outside back door had been kicked in. The phones were also dead and her purse had been turned over. A bottle of lighter fluid had been left out, but three fingerprints lifted were never identified.
  • Sept. 1, 1990 — Leah Sousa, 13, dies from severe head injuries after being raped and beaten in her Cumberland Beach home, north of Orillia. Sousa's diminutive 80-pound mother, Lora, 36, suffers skull fractures and is left for dead, but survives. The Sousas were asleep in their Beachview Avenue home when they were attacked. Police say Leah was sleeping on the living-room couch and her mother in a bedroom when someone broke through the small home's back door. The youngster was bludgeoned to death, her battered body then dragged into the backyard. Investigators have described the bloody scene as "gruesome" and the attack as "extremely vicious." A nine-month-old baby boy, Michael, was found unharmed in his crib. Hundreds of statements have been gathered, but no murder weapon was found, no fingerprints were left at the scene, and no charges have been laid. The only physical evidence was a size 9 1/2 or 10 Nike shoe print on the kitchen floor. Authorities suspect the attacker is a male who lived in the area and knew the Sousas were unprotected inside the home.
  • June 20, 1989 — Debbie Timlock, 33, is strangled, punched, stabbed and sexually assaulted in her Oak Street apartment in Collingwood in the middle of the night. James Brown, 21, was convicted of first-degree murder in 1992 and sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years. Brown brutalized the young woman by shoving his fist into her anal area so forcefully that it caused tearing. Brown said he was infatuated with Timlock, the mother of a six-year-old daughter, but she wanted nothing to do with him. After applying for early release under the "faint-hope clause," Brown claimed in April 2010 that he merely wanted to scare Timlock. He grabbed a knife off the kitchen counter and crept down the hallway to her bedroom. At that point, he said his intention was to murder her. His request for early release was denied.
  • Feb. 3, 1989 — Rookie social worker Krista Sepp, 21, is stabbed 19 times while working alone during the night shift at a Midland group home. It was her second week on the job. James Tobin, 18, was convicted of second-degree murder and handed a life sentence with parole eligibility after 12 years. Tobin's girlfriend, 16-year-old Joyanne Beeson, was living there after trying to murder her mother and stepfather. Moments before Tobin killed Sepp, Beeson ripped out the group home's only telephone so Sepp could not call police. Beeson, sentenced to six years for manslaughter, was released in 1995.
  • March 24, 1986 — An estranged Toronto couple and their seven-year-old are found shot to death inside their van near Hillsdale. Police investigate the incident as a murder-suicide. The deceased were identified as Roy Brian Rollo, 45, Deborah Rollo, 29, and their son, Jason. Police said Mr. Rollo shot his family before turning the 20-gauge shotgun on himself. All three had died from a single gunshot wound to the chest. The bodies were discovered inside their parked vehicle on Cassell Drive, which runs alongside Highway 400 at the County Road 93 exit, north of Barrie. The couple had recently separated. The woman and her son had been staying with relatives in Midland for about three weeks prior to the murder. The boy had been visiting his father in Toronto, but had come back to the area the day before the killing. His mother was also seen the evening before the shooting getting into a van in the Midland area.
  • Sept. 5, 1985 — Cathy Vernon's nude body is found bound with thick tape, stuffed in a plastic garbage bag and dumped in a canal near Bradford. She had been shot in the head with a .22-calibre gun. The police investigation ends abruptly when Vernon's boyfriend, 26-year-old Lloyd George Nelson, commits suicide a week later at his Etobicoke apartment building. His body was found slumped in the front seat of his car in the parking lot. Nelson — who had been strongly implicated in Vernon's murder through circumstantial and physical evidence — had shot himself in the head with a .22-calibre Rom revolver. Due to the poor quality of the firearm, police said they would never be able to match the bullets from the two shootings. Police, who had been searching for Nelson to question him, said the couple had been in a violent argument the night of Aug. 29 at the Toronto apartment building. She had lived with her family in Gilford before moving in with Nelson in June. Vernon was last seen alive the next evening. Investigators weren't certain where Vernon was killed, but they believed it was near the location where her body was discovered. She was a bookkeeper and aspiring model.
  • April 17, 1985 — A couple is found dead in their Bluewater Beach home in an apparent murder-suicide. They are identified as Earl Bruce Woodcock, 54, and his wife, 50-year-old Jennie Marlene Woodcock. Police believe Mr. Woodcock killed his wife and then turned the gun on himself. Sheriff's officers discovered the bodies while serving an eviction notice. They were lying on the floor in different areas of the Tiny Beaches Road South house. Both had been shot in the head. Described by neighbours as a "quiet couple," they were among the minority of people who lived in the beach area year-round. They had lived in the house for about three years.
  • Jan. 29, 1978 — Allen Maurice Kinsella, 36, and Richard Edward (Ted) Sale, 32, are sentenced to life without parole for 25 years for the murder and robbery of Barrie motel night clerk Ken Kaplinski. Authorities said about $2,000 was stolen from the till. The 24-year-old Kaplinski, who had a three-year-old son named John, was abducted from the former Continental Inn, shot twice in the back of head and left at a roadside north of Barrie. His decomposed body was found March 28, 1978, in a melting snowbank near Severn Bridge. The duo had also robbed a fast-food restaurant in Orillia that night. Sale, who admitted to pulling the trigger, swore in a 1981 affidavit that Kinsella was drunk and asleep in the car and had no involvement in the murder. During a judicial review in 1993, the judge disallowed Sale's testimony. Kinsella's appeal application was denied and he was sent back to prison to complete his original sentence. In hopes of bringing attention to his case, Kinsella escaped from the medium-security Bath Institution, near Kingston, in October 1994 and remained at large for nine days. (He had also escaped from Joyceville prison in 1966 and the Barrie jail in 1978. His criminal career began in 1959; he had accumulated 29 convictions.) He tried in vain to negotiate his surrender with the attorney general in exchange for the case being reopened. Kinsella was arrested outside the CBC in Toronto where he reportedly intended to turn himself in. Kinsella was with his son, Kevin, when he was arrested by two plainclothes Toronto cops.
  • Oct. 5, 1975 — Gerry Crane, 14, dies in an Alcona-area ditch in a hit-and-run collision. Shortly before 8 p.m., two boys were walking south along the west side of the 25th Sideroad, south of the 9th Line, when they were struck from behind by a southbound vehicle. The driver didn't stop. Crane's friend was also injured, but could not provide any clues. However, paint samples found on Crane's clothes indicate the vehicle was metallic blue.


Reader's comments »

By adding a comment on the site, you accept our terms and conditions

Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »