Ontario, Quebec still recovering from storm
Crew were on scene in Port Dalhousie cleaning up limbs and trees like this one at the corner of Bayview and Ann St. after Friday evening's storm. (Bob Tymczyszyn/QMI Agency)
More than 73,000 people were still without power across Ontario and Quebec Sunday afternoon as a result of Friday's storm.
About 1,000 Hydro One employees were working across Ontario to repair damage and restore electricity to more than 23,500 customers still without power in the province.
The agency says that Kingston, Essex, Bracebridge and Peterborough were hit hardest and estimates they won't have power until Monday. On its website, Hydro One says that Bancroft will not have its power restored until Wednesday.
The storm brought extreme weather across a broad swath of central Canada, including heavy rain and winds, reports of funnel clouds, as well thunder and lightning.
The storm didn't spare Quebec, causing numerous outages, mainly in the greater Montréal area and Montérégie region as well as in the Laurentides, Laval, Lanaudière, Outaouais and Centre-du-Québec.
At the height of the storm, nearly 56,000 customers were without power in the province.
Sunday night, Hydro Quebec said there were about 56,000 customers across the province still without electricity.
In Montreal, a 21-year-old woman was killed after being hit by a falling branch at the municipal pool where she worked.
An eyewitness told QMI Agency she was surprised more people weren't killed or injured since about a dozen children had been asked to leave the pool before the branch fell.
Police said they will release the victim's name Monday.
Meanwhile, Environment Canada is looking at the possibility that a tornado hit several southern New Brunswick communities about 7:30 p.m Saturday.
There were no injuries reported as a result of the violent storm, which uprooted trees and flattened some buildings in rural areas.
-- with files from Christine Bouthillier