News Local

Faces slew of charges following high-speed race at CFB Borden

Tracy McLaughlin

By Tracy McLaughlin, Special to QMI AGENCY

An Angus man who went on a wild and reckless high-speed race through CFB Borden and Angus, running over a cop’s foot and almost striking other police officers, is now on trial before a jury.

Joseph Arlow, 35, is charged with a slew of charges including impaired driving causing bodily harm, dangerous driving causing bodily harm, flight from police, failing to remain and resisting arrest.

But Arlow’s lawyer insists his client was suffering from mental disorder and should be found not criminally responsible.

Arlow was arrested at gunpoint after several police officers from various detachments pursued him after he crashed through the gates at CFB Borden and raced through the streets of Angus and Springwater Township on Feb. 2, 2010.

Police say Arlow’s vehicle reached speeds of 140 kilometres per hour while racing through streets and along Highway 90, running red lights and swerving onto the shoulder of the road to get around a spike belt set up to stop his frenzied drive.

In the process, he also ran over and broke bones in provincial police officer Jim Scott’s foot and drove toward other officers, causing them to scatter for their lives.

Arlow raced to the No Frills in Angus, where he smashed into another vehicle in the parking lot, then reversed and crashed into the front doors of the store.

Arlow’s lawyer has told the jury that he was suffering from mental illness and delusions and that at the time he had a premonition that his father was in the No Frills store and was suffering from physical distress.

Once he crashed into the front doors, Arlow said he got a buzzing sound in his head and realized his father was not there and he drove away.

The jury has heard that Arlow has a history of drug abuse as well as mental illness, and that he has used marijuana since he was in Grade 7.

He later used LSD as a teen and his habits eventually led him to cocaine and crack cocaine.

At the time of his arrest, Arlow was on the methadone program and was allowed to take home a seven-day supply of his daily methadone dose. After he was arrested, toxicology reports showed he had methadone and cannabis in his system.

Crown attorney Frank Faveri will try to prove that Arlow was intoxicated and that he concocted his delusional story out of “convenience.”

On the witness stand, Dr. Ann Jones, a psychiatrist at Waypoint mental health centre in Penetanguishene, insisted Arlow was suffering from delusions.

“In my view, he was experiencing psychotic delusions that drove his actions that day,” Jones said.

“Isn’t it possible that he was coming up with that story as a convenient explanation?” asked the Crown.

“It’s possible, but I don’t think so,” Jones said. “I can’t think of another explanation.”

Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »